Why You Should Buy An Air Fryer
In my opinion, you need an air fryer. And no, its not just for making french fries.
An air fryer is a huge part of my cook low carb dinners quickly strategy especially for cooking meat. Heres why:
- It heats up so much faster than an oven.
- It manages to keep meat juicy while still giving it an off the grill flavor.
- Its extremely easy to clean.
- You can get a decent one for about $60 to $80.
- It cooks meat fast.
- No flipping or stirring necessary.
- You can also cook vegetables in it .
I truly use my air fryer several times a day. I also never bother to preheat it thats never mattered.
Before You Begin This Meal Plan
Before starting any healthy eating programme, please read how to choose your meal plan to make sure you follow the plan that’s right for you.
Please speak to your diabetes health care team before making significant changes to your diet.
This is especially important if you treat your condition with insulin and diabetes medications that increase the risk of hypos . Reducing your carbohydrate intake and changes to your body weight may mean your insulin and diabetes medication needs to be adjusted.
Tips For Cooking Quick Low
If youd like to convert a specific recipe for a low-carb diet, substituting the high-carb food ingredients for low-carb or no-carb foods is the main point to reduce you carbs intake. Once you master some of these basic substitutions, cooking a low-carb meal becomes easy-peasy!
Some easy low-carb ingredients substitutions include:
- Use lettuce leaves instead of regular taco shells
- Make baked butternut squash fries instead of potato fries
- Use eggplant slices to make low-carb lasagna
- Cook zucchini ribbons or noodles instead of pasta
- Large portobello mushroom caps make fantastic buns, instead of regular bread
- Make your own low-carb pizza crust with cauliflower
- Spaghetti squash is a fantastic low carb substitution for noodles
You May Like: Best Diet Plan For Menopause
Will A Low Carb Diet Make Me Healthier
Finally, you may be wondering how a low-carb diet may benefit you.
First, since they emphasize and encourage nutrient-dense real foods, they can significantly improve health.
However, food is not the only thing to consider.
Its important to realize that optimal health depends on our overall lifestyle and not just what we eat.
Some additional things to consider and implement include
- Sleep its a little-known fact, but how much we sleep impacts blood sugar levels and our cholesterol profile similar to how our diet does.
- Exercise exercise has many great health benefits, makes us stronger, and improves various health markers.
- Stress chronic stress hormones can negatively affect various aspects of our health. As a result, managing stress and finding time to relax is important.
- Social Life people are usually happier and healthier when they have good relationships with friends and family.
What Can You Eat On A Healthy Low
I hate to break the news to you, but cutting out carbohydrates doesnt mean loading up on bacon.
A nutritious, low-carb diet means one thats rich in lean protein, healthful fats and nourishing produce. In general, a low-carb menu includes lean meats , seafood, eggs, leafy greens, cruciferous vegetables , nuts and unsweetened nut butters, seeds, oils , some fruit and unsweetened dairy products .
As you can see, the range is huge, which means you shouldnt feel deprived while eating low-carb.
The main items to steer clear of are sweets, white breads and pastas, white rice and most starchy foods, including potatoes.
Don’t despair, the recipes below showcase how you can create easy weeknight dinners so delicious, you won’t miss a single carbohydrate.
Read Also: How To Lose Weight In A Week Diet
A Quick And Easy Low Carb Dinner Approach
There are two things that make this part of my diet so incredibly easy:
Im not a big fan of meticulous recipes. This approach to cooking healthy, whole food dinners is flexible and basic.
It means you can swap in any types of vegetables and any type of meat, adjusting merely the exact temperature or minutes without changing the methods and overall time it takes to complete.
Easy Steps For Starting A Keto Diet
The main point to remember when starting a keto diet is this:
RULE #1: Restrict Carbohydrates. This is the most crucial part! Restrict to less than 20g or 25g net carbs per day for a keto diet plan .For a low carb diet, aim for under 50g net carbs per day. Some variations limit to somewhere between 50-100g per day, particularly if you are more active.
Stay below your carb limit and youre most of the way there! But to ensure your success, here are some additional tips for getting started on a keto diet and the same applies for a low carb diet as well:
Read Also: Cellular Healing Diet Food List
The Best Recipes To Cut Back On Carbs
21. Instant-Pot Chinese Sesame Chicken: Eat this versatile chicken with a side of veggies for dinner, and simply reheat the next day for a salad or lettuce wrap.
22. Healthy Breakfast Egg Muffins: Easy egg breakfast for dinner? We say, yass please.
23. Keto Cheese-Stuffed Meatballs: It’s amazing how far a little almond meal and zucchini can go in place of bread and well, more bread. This recipe is quick, low-carb, and oh-so-filling for the weeknight dinner win.
24. Smashed Brussels Sprouts: Get your share of delicious veggies smothered mozzarella and parmesan and achieve ketosis without the lingering hunger.
25. Lemon Miso Spring Green Soup: For a very healthy reset opt for a veggie-packed soup. This spring medley is as delicious as it is nutritious, quick, and low in carbs.
26. Keto Cheese Ball: Eating for one? This low carb recipe is the perfect answer to a light dinner that’s as good as a baked potato. And if you get peckish later, check out one of these low carb snacks.
27. Brown-Butter Salmon with Capers and Tomatoes: Simple, clean, and SO tasty! Opt for quick sautéed wild salmon with just a few basic ingredients and enjoy BIG time flavor.
28. Bang Bang Cauliflower: Who needs potatoes when cauli will do the trick instead! This straightforward dish works great for dinner or as a side dish you choose.
This article has been updated from a previous post published in June 2019.
Editorial Sources And Fact
Also Check: Where To Get A Diet Plan
Who Should Not Do A Low
A low-carb diet is safe for almost everyone.8 Rapid weight loss or dramatic changes in blood sugar, however, may require extra support and knowledge for people in three specific situations:
- Taking medication for diabetes: If you take insulin or other diabetes medications, learn more
- Taking blood pressure medication? Learn more
- Breastfeeding? If you are nursing a baby, learn more
This diet plan is for adults with health issues, including obesity, that could benefit from a low-carb diet.
How To Eat Enough Protein
Many low-carb diets are also higher in protein as compared to what most people are accustomed to eating. Since numerous studies show higher protein diets are beneficial for weight loss, metabolic health, muscle maintenance, and increased satiety, prioritizing protein is an important part of any eating plan.36
You can learn much more about higher protein diets and how to add more protein in our main protein guide
Also Check: Lose Weight Diet Plan Female
How Cutting Carbs May Help With Weight Loss And Blood Sugar Management
You probably hear the most about low-carb eating for weight loss, but for some people, the approach could also help optimize their health, says Schmidt. Research shows that women who are obese or have metabolic problems do better hormonally on lower carbs, says Schmidt, pointing out that other outcomes of the diet can include better sleep, mental clarity, and increased satiety.
Are There Other Benefits To A Low
Healthy, low-carb diets can help reduce blood sugar and insulin levels, blood triglycerides , blood pressure and LDL cholesterol. A reduction in carbohydrate intake can also increase levels of HDL cholesterol, which lowers your risk for heart disease and stroke.
In a nutshell, a sensible, low-carb diet can effectively reverse all five key symptoms of metabolic syndrome increased blood pressure, high blood sugar, excess body fat around the waist and abnormal cholesterol or triglyceride levels. This cluster of conditions increases your risk of heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes and a lower-carb diet can help.
Also Check: Will Eating A Burger Ruin My Diet
What Snacks Can I Eat
Personally, I recommend not to snack and to limit food to your daily meals.
However, there is a range of delicious low carb options that you can eat if you feel the need.
Berries and cream, dark chocolate, fruit, and nuts are all healthy and delicious too.
Making smart snack substitutions when first starting low carb can be helpful to some people.
As satiety improves, you can then hopefully transition away from needing them.
How Does The Keto Diet Work
Unlike a low carb diet, ketosis is the primary goal of the keto diet plan. We achieve it by severely limiting carbohydrate intake, not necessarily calories, though calories are often restricted as a byproduct.
The core of how the keto diet works boils down to two things:
Signs of ketosis include increased energy and focus, decreased appetite, and changes in smell of breath or urine. You can test yourself for ketosis using ketone test strips . A blood monitor is the most accurate, but not usually necessary if you follow the keto diet rules.
Don’t Miss: Alli Diet Supplements Weight Loss
Low Carb Chicken Pot Pie
There are days when all of us want a little comfort food like mom and grandma used to make.
Fortunately, the flexibility of the keto diet allows for indulgences, and this low carb chicken pot pie is one of those indulgences.
The pie crust for this chicken pot pie is made from coconut flour, eggs, cheddar cheese, Mozzarella cheese, butter, and full-fat sour cream.
For the filling, the creaminess comes from heavy whipping cream, while the flavor comes from the onions, poultry seasoning, rosemary, thyme, and garlic.
Keto Diet Side Effects
Because a low carb diet reduces the amount of water you store, this can flush out electrolytes and make you feel sick this is called the keto flu. These side effects of keto are temporary while you are adjusting to a ketogenic diet, but unpleasant. They can include headache, dizziness, fatigue, restlessness, brain fog, lack of motivation, nausea, insomnia, impaired coordination, sensitivity to heat, sugar cravings, muscle soreness or weakness, and stomach issues.
Fortunately, you can avoid or eliminate these side effects by salting your food liberally, drinking broth , and eating pickled vegetables. These keto diet basics are just as important as restricting carbs. Some people also choose to take supplements for electrolytes, but its best to first consult a doctor.
Check the complete guide to keto flu symptoms and remedies here so that you can avoid it!
Also Check: Can You Eat Sweet Potatoes On A Low Carb Diet
Low Carb Chicken Nuggets
Using an easy breading mixture and an air fryer, you can make healthy, low carb chicken nuggets to rival those from your favorite restaurant.
Recipe: Turkey Parmesan Meatballs
You’ll only need one pan, a handful of ingredients for these juicy, parmesan- and herb-spiked meatballs swimming in marinara sauce and blanketed with gooey cheese. Put it all together and let the oven do the work for you.
Makes: 12 meatballs
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups marinara sauce of choice, or tomato sauce
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese, or more if desired
- Chopped fresh basil or parsley for serving, optional
Read Also: Do You Have To Count Calories On A Keto Diet
Get Results In 30 Days
Join 90k+ people who are losing weight with Keto Kickstart, our doctor-developed program designed to give you real weight loss results.
Youre in! Check your email to get started with the program.
Heres the good news, though: with a little knowledge of how to order, you can find low-carb options at pretty much any restaurant even fast-casual and fast-food restaurants that seem like most of their menu items wouldnt fit your macros.
In fact, its surprisingly easy to eat out on a ketogenic diet without dropping out of ketosis or slowing your weight loss progress.
Heres a brief guide to eating out on keto, as well as keto-friendly options at some common restaurants across America.
What Is Considered A Healthy High Protein Low Carb Diet
High protein low carbohydrate diets are all the rage at the moment, with literally hundreds of different diets promoting this concept.
However, there is a huge amount of variation in the amounts of protein, carbs and other foods included from diet to diet. Some are recommending high protein meal replacements, others are excluding all forms of carbs including fruit and some recommend certain combinations of carbs and protein.
With such variation between diets, it is understandably confusing as to what we should really be eating on a healthy high protein low carb diet?
You May Like: Weight Watchers High Protein Diet
Who Can Follow A High Protein Low Carb Diet
A high protein low carb diet is not for everybody and is by no means proven as the best way to lose weight.
However, studies have suggested that for some people, this type of diet is an effective way to reduce fat and weight. It is particularly useful to kick start weight loss in those who are morbidly obese.
High protein diets may contribute to weight loss in a variety of ways. For example, it has been suggested that by reducing carbohydrates, the brain may receive less hunger stimulating hormones, resulting in a reduced appetite.
Hint: Try the CalorieSecrets Diet
Healthy Sheet Pan Shrimp And Greens
This healthy protein-packed shrimp dinner starts with an towering mound of kale that wilts while it roasts. Grapeseed oil is a great neutral alternative to flavor-packed olive oil, which could compete with the flavor of the sweet and spicy curry shrimp.
Get the Recipe: Healthy Sheet Pan Shrimp and Greens
Don’t Miss: How To Have A Keto Diet
Low Carb Meal Ideas To Cook For The Whole Family
16. Keto Ramen Zoodles: Swapping traditional noodles for zucchini noodles allows you to enjoy richly flavored ramen, crispy pork belly, jammy egg, and all, without the bloat.
17. Mini Cloud-Bread Pepperoni Pizzas: Cloud bread, a miracle mixture of baked eggs, cheese, and cream of tartar, satisfies the carby cravings of keto dieters everywhere. We like it best topped with pizza sauce, more cheese, and plenty of pepperoni.
19. Halibut en Papillote With Lemon, Mushrooms, and Toasted Sesame Oil: This healthy fish dish fills your kitchen with the aromas of ginger and toasted sesame oil and it even makes halibut taste glamorous.