Does Cabbage Soup Really Work For Weight Loss
The cabbage soup diet functions surprisingly once it is followed strictly. During this diet week plan, you will consume 1200 or 1000calories per Day instead of a regular routine, you should drink at least 200 calories.
This works to run out of energy and gain the power you will consume proper diet, and then again, you will gain fat.
According to studies, the cabbage soup diet will imbalance your metabolism as there will be a considerable reduction in lean body tissue, which regulates your metabolic function.
Cabbage Soup Diet Side Effects
The bottom line is that if the Cabbage Soup Diet really were the answer to your dieting prayers, you’d already know all about it, and everybody would be following it — so you know there must be some drawbacks. Just like many diets and medications, the Cabbage Soup Diet may possibly lead to some less than ideal side effects for participants.
The most prevalent — not to mention embarrassing – side effect is the almost unavoidable gas. When your body is ingesting this many vegetables, plus the high intake of cabbage, you’re sure to pass some less-than-pleasant odors. The diet is low calorie and high fiber, which won’t always agree well with your stomach.
Some participants have said the diet was a challenge and successful in terms of weight loss, but it didn’t come without cost. They claimed to have experienced migraines, discoloration around the eyes, low energy levels, mood swings and low levels of concentration and creativity. Their co-workers agreed, stating their usually upbeat and helpful colleagues were slower than usual and a bit moody at times .
As we’ve touched on, the diet itself is not a well-rounded meal plan. As such, following it for too long can intensify the side effects. It doesn’t provide the body with enough nutrition to keep you healthy. The low calories alone would leave anyone feeling slow and sluggish. It’s always a good idea to check with a health care professional before trying something as drastic as the Cabbage Soup Diet.
What Can You Eat On The Cabbage Soup Diet
The cabbage soup diet is mainly made up of cabbage soup, alongside other vegetables and some meats.
A typical seven-day plan would look like this:
- Day 1: You can eat as much fruit as you want along with unlimited cabbage soup, water and unsweetened tea and coffee.
- Day 2: Avoid fruit but eat raw veg and cabbage soup. Youre allowed a baked potato in the evening.
- Day 3: As much cabbage soup, fruit and vegetables as you like .
- Day 4: Unlimited cabbage soup. You can drink some skimmed milk and eat up to eight bananas.
- Day 5: Lots of cabbage soup and 565g of beef and six tomatoes. Makes sure you drink 6-8 glasses of water.
- Day 6: As much cabbage soup, beef and vegetables as you like .
- Day 7: Unlimited cabbage soup, a little brown rice and sugar-free fruit juice.
Don’t Miss: Cellular Healing Diet Food List
The Dos And Donts Of The Cabbage Soup Diet
- Stick to water or you can find alternative beverages but make sure it does not contain high calorie.
- Consume as many bowls of soup as you want to satisfy your hunger.
- You can take multi-vitamin while following the cabbage soup diet.
- The cabbage soup diet isnt recommended for people who have special dietary needs and health complications.
- Dont add salt substitute to your soup, but you can add a little spice.
Will You Lose Weight On The Cabbage Soup Diet
While there’s been no research on the cabbage soup diet’s effectiveness, all three nutritionists agree: In the short term you will lose weight.
“A diet this restrictive is going to have a very low-calorie intake,” says Valdez. While calories-in will vary day to day, and based on how much cabbage soup you manage to consume, he estimates most people’s calorie intake will drop to 1,000 to 1,200 per day. Considering a 150-pound woman of moderate activity level should be consuming about 1,800 and a 200-pound man of the same activity level should be consuming about 2,400 calories a day, this is a huge deficit. The result? You’ll see a smaller number on the scale at the week’s end.
Valdez warns the weight loss likely won’t last. Most of the weight loss comes from water weight, which you’ll easily gain back when you resume your normal regime, he says.
In the long term, the plan could even lead to weight gain. “When you drastically reduce your calorie intake, your body goes into starvation mode, which slows down your metabolism,” Valdez explains. “A slower metabolism can result in halted weight loss for some and weight gain for others.”
One of the diet’s other claims to fame is that it “melts away fat”, but Valdez says, “There are no foods in the world that magically melt away fat.” The best way to reduce body fat is through regular strength training and moderate protein intake, he says. And day 6 of the diet is the only day where you’re consuming much protein at all.
You May Like: How To Have A Keto Diet
Pros Of The Cabbage Diet
The cabbage soup diet is considered a fad diet that can provide quick, short-term weight loss, but it is not necessarily healthy. Review the pros and cons so you can make an informed decision about trying this diet plan.
- Easy to follow: The simple rules of diet are fairly easy to follow. With unlimited amounts of cabbage soup, the diet can also be filling. As a short-term diet, those who follow this plan only need to stick with it for a week.
- Quick weight loss: Proponents of the cabbage soup diet claim you can lose 10 pounds in one week, but there is a lack of evidence to support those claims. While no research studies have examined the effectiveness of the cabbage soup diet, the seven-day plan consists of mostly low-calorie foods. Research has shown that reduced-calorie diets can help promote weight loss.
While the plan may provide quick weight loss results, it is not a long-term solution for managing your weight.
Pros Of Cabbage Soup Diet
The most obvious benefit of this diet is fast weight loss. Many dieters reported losing 10 pounds in a week on average. This can serve as a great motivator before starting a fitness program, or if you need to lose a few pounds for an occasion. Another advantage of the cabbage soup diet is affordability. The only thing you have to buy is plenty of cabbage, vegetables and a little meat if you prefer. Soup is easy to make and can be seasoned with spices and herbs for flavor.
Don’t Miss: Is Dates Good For Diet
Health Risks Of The Cabbage Soup Diet
While many of the foods allowed in the cabbage soup diet are considered healthy, the principles of this eating plan arent. The diet may also pose short-term side effects, and possibly more serious consequences if you have any underlying health conditions.
Due to the high sodium content of the cabbage soup diet, dehydration is one short-term side effect. The diet may also be harmful to people with diabetes because it can destabilize blood sugar levels.
Because the soup itself is also extremely low in calories, carbohydrates, protein, and fat, the Australian governments Better Health Channel notes that you may experience:
An important consideration is the lack of healthy fats in this diet. While you may be looking to get rid of body fat, dietary forms of fat are important for feeling full. Healthy fats, such as those found in fish, and nuts also contain important nutrients. Essentially there is very little fat included in this diet because the only fat source comes from the beef, or milk if choosing whole milk, says Rothenberg.
Can You Follow The Cabbage Soup Diet Long Term
The short answer? No. It is lacking in several key nutrients, like healthy fats and protein, Carrell says. Healthy fats are required for certain vitamins to be utilized by the body. If followed longer than seven days, the cabbage soup diet could lead to deficiencies of important nutrients. On top of thathow much cabbage soup can you really eat? The cabbage soup diet does not allow for much flexibility so it would likely get boring after just a few days, Carrell says. If youre considering the cabbage soup diet or any other short term plans, nutritionists share what you must always look out for before starting any diet plan.
Also Check: On Low Carb Diet And Not Losing Weight
How To Do The Cabbage Soup Diet
Cabbage soup can help you lose weight fast. You need to eat it every day for one week , along with several other foods allowed. You must have three days a meal, not more than that. If you feel the need to snack, you can have a serving of fruit between meals.
Heres how to do The 7-Day Cabbage Soup Diet:
- Day 1: have cabbage soup and fruits, but avoid bananas.
- Day 2: eat soup and vegetables, have a baked potato for dinner. No corn or beans allowed.
- Day 3: eat soup, vegetables, fruits. No potatoes allowed.
- Day 4: have soup, skim milk and bananas. By this day, you should no longer experience sweet cravings.
- Day 5: have cabbage soup twice and then a more consistent protein meal, like beef. Add tomatoes.
- Day 6: have soup, vegetables and beef again.
- Day 7: besides the cabbage soup, eat brown rice, vegetables and fruit.
Here are the fruits you can eat while on the cabbage soup diet:
The drinks you can have:
- Green and black tea
- Alcohol, packaged juice
- Ketchup, sauce of any kind, dips
- All grains, except for brown rice on the recommended day
- Potato, sweet potatoes
Although the diet is restrictive, you will get plenty of vitamins and minerals from the many fruits and vegetables you have to eat, especially from the fresh ones. This means you dont need to panic about not getting enough nutrients. You may want to take a multimineral and vitamin supplement if youre afraid youre not getting enough.
What Else Can You Eat
It depends on the version you follow. Some allow for a small, sensible meal, while others allow you to incorporate one or two additional food items. GuideDoc shares:
- Day 1: Fruit, except bananas
- Day 2: Vegetables like leafy greens , but no fruit
- Day 3: Fruits and vegetables
- Day 4: Bananas and skim milk
- Day 5: Beef and tomatoes
- Day 6: Beef and vegetables
- Day 7: Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juices, and vegetables
Also Check: 1200 Calorie A Day Mediterranean Diet
What Are The Letdowns
Sadly though, not everything can and will be advantaged since even a cabbage soup diet contains some disadvantages that you should look out for. So, if you do want to look at the different disadvantages, then we definitely do have it for you. So, lets start a list of the disadvantages that you should see, just in case.
- Depending on the recipe that you will choose for your cabbage soup, it is really important to find the perfect recipe. Since you might end up with a soup with too much sodium or too much of another substance, you should be careful about choosing your recipe. Although it is a good idea to experiment with your cabbage soup, you should be aware and know all of the measurements of each ingredient that you do put into the soup.
- Even though eating vegetables and cabbage is good, it still does have a low amount of carbohydrates and other nutrients that will pretty much just give you the energy you need. So, it is a much better idea to do this for only just a week or even less than a week at a time. Plus, if you arent that committed, you can even have cheat days. But if you do have the determination to eat nothing but cabbage soup for a week, then go for it, just dont overdo it. Since it might harm you and your body, you might end up starving yourself from carbohydrates.
Looking For Ideas For A Quick Weight Loss Or Detox The Cabbage Soup Diet Can Help You Lose Up To 10 Pounds In Just One Week Try This Delicious Eating Plan To Reduce Your Belly Fat Fast
New Delhi: If youre looking for ideas for a quick weight loss or detox, the cabbage soup diet may help you burn body fat and flatten your tummy. This cruciferous vegetable isnt just a culinary delight but also provides a host of health benefits. Cabbage is a healthful low-calorie vegetable that can be added to your daily diet when trying to shed a few pounds. Proponents of the cabbage soup diet claim it help you lose up to 10 pounds in just one week.
Generally, consuming fruits and veggies has been associated with weight loss and a lower risk of many adverse health conditions. Many studies have shown that the compounds in cabbage can reduce your risk of diabetes, heart disease, etc. Cabbage also contains sulforaphane that may help protect against certain types of cancer. Heres what you need to know about the cabbage soup diet for weight loss and whether or not it can really help you burn your belly fat. Read – Weight loss tips for brides-to-be: The Bride Diet plan can help you lose weight for your wedding in just 2 weeks
Don’t Miss: Dash Diet Vs Weight Watchers
Instant Pot Cabbage Soup:
Personal Reflections On The Cabbage Soup Diet
1) I loved the detox cabbage soup that made a difference for me. I love vegetables and I spiced it just like taco soup, minus the meat. Im a big fan of all the vegetables that went in the soup. I used the alternative recipe containing the 4 cups of the V8 juice and 8 cups of water, instead of the 12 cups of water. It made it a lot more flavorful. Also, yes, it makes your house smell like vegetable soup initially. That goes away in a day. My fridge smelled like soup for a week, though, because I left it in the pot with the lid on and put right in the fridge. I am sure if you have Pyrex, or something similar that can be sealed, you wouldnt regret opening your fridge every time. Unless that was a deterrent from grazing
2) When you cheat on a diet, cheat in regular everyday eating, really, you only cheat yourself. Dont give up. Just because I had a chip, or a cookie, or whatever I did that stepped out of the parameters of the diet, I didnt allow that to be an excuse to quit or binge eat the rest of the day. Make a plan before you begin that if you have the extra, just have it and be done. Start fresh that minute. Not an in hour, not tomorrow, not on Monday. Willpower is the hardest part about this low-calorie diet, any weight-loss diet, and everyday eating. You have to want it MORE than you want a cookie.
So, without further ado, my final weigh-in numbers.
You May Like: I Am Dieting And Not Losing Weight
Has There Been Any Scientific Research Done On The Cabbage Soup Diet
Sadly not, although Windas shares that there has been lots of research on low calorie diets in general.
Your body reacts to drastically restricted your calorie intake by going into a starvation mode, she explains. Which means? Itll lower your metabolic rate and reduce the number of calories you burn per day, which can be counterproductive towards weight loss, she shares.
All in all, the Cabbage Soup Diet isnt the healthiest weight loss plan available out there. Nilsson says: Cabbage soup is nutritionally unbalanced as a meal, and it is vital we consume essential nutrients such as proteins, vitamins B and even healthy fats. By following this diet for a lengthily period of time, you are depriving your body of the nutrients it needs and thus defeating any long-term health benefits and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
If you are determined to give the diet a go, Lovisa has some advice for you. Supplement the soup with, for example, rye bread and some form of protein. You may also find that you get bored of eating cabbage for your meals every day, so I would suggest adding and changing flavours to make each meal more interesting. Got it?
Traditional Recipe For Cabbage Soup:
Cabbage soup can be made by adding up different vegetables and meat as well.
- Cut all the vegetables and wash them properly.
- Oil the saucepan and fry onions.
- Add all the vegetables into the pan along the water and other seasonings as well.
- Let the water boil, turn the flame low, and let the soup be ready, and the vegetables get soft and smooth.
- It might take 20 to 25 minutes, then you can sprinkle salt and pepper also.
Also Check: High Protein Diet Recipes For Weight Loss