Wheat Can Increase Your Belly Fat
The modern wheat contains a super starch called Amylopectin A. It makes the glycemic index of wheat higher than sugar.
Glycemic Index is a scale to measure how rapidly any food will increase your blood glucose levels within 2 hours of eating it. High GI foods can increase blood glucose levels very quickly. Not Good
- Table Sugar 65
- Wheat 72
This means that 2 slices of whole wheat bread will raise your blood glucose levels by more than 6 tablespoons of sugar.
This surge in blood glucose causes a rapid increase in insulin levels. Insulin is a powerful fat-storing hormone. The high levels of insulin will transport and store excess glucose into the fat cells. This is known as the glucose-insulin cycle.
If you eat wheat every day, you will keep this glucose-insulin cycle going.
Over time, this can lead to a significant increase in body fat, especially belly fat in males and hip and thigh fat in females.
What Happens When You Give Up Wheat
Wheat includes a starch known as amylopectin A, which is rapidly turned into glucose in the bloodstream. This results in a rapid and significant increase in blood sugar and insulin levels, which is usually associated with the development of diabetes, weight gain, and obesity. Wheat has a specific lectin known as WGA, which is found only in wheat.
Foods To Limit With Wheat Belly
Consume in limited quantities :
- Non-cheese dairy
- Wheat Belly asks you to limit non-cheese dairy Wheat Belly Total Health gives a quantity of no more than 1 serving per day of milk, cottage cheese, or unsweetened yogurt
- Wheat Belly Total Health encourages you to eat fermented foods, including yogurt and kefir, although it appears to imply that these should be eaten in limited quantities
- Choose organic
- Minimally processed soy products e.g. tofu, tempeh, miso, natto, edamame, soybeans
- Starchy vegetables
- Whole corn Corn is allowed in small amounts in Wheat Belly, but should be avoided in Wheat Belly Total Health
- Potatoes , yams, sweet potatoes
- Wheat-free alcohol: Limit alcohol to 2 glasses of wine, 2 cocktails, or 1 higher-carb beer. Gluten-free beer, wine, brandy, cognac, liqueurs, rum, some vodkas
- Milk alternative soymilk / soy milk
- Semisweet or bittersweet chocolate or chocolate chips Wheat Belly Total Health says to choose chocolate that is no less than 70%-85% cocoa, and eat no more than 40g per day to limit sugar
You May Like: No Added Salt Diet Mayo Clinic
Can You Eat Beans On Wheat Belly
After youve made the decision to stop eating wheat, you may eat small amounts of other whole grains, such as quinoa, millet, amaranth, and chia, as well as beans in moderation. When it comes to alcoholic beverages, wheat-brewed beers are obviously off the table, although Davis does advocate for red wine because of its heart-healthy properties.
Foods To Eat In Wheat Belly
These are the basic principles that are recommended.Eat these foods in unlimited quantities: Eat what your body tells you to eat, since appetite signals, once rid of unnatural appetite stimulants such as wheat flour, will let you know what you require.
- Non-sugary condiments
- Chili or hot pepper sauces, horseradish, mayonnaise , mirin, mustards, salsa, gluten-free soy sauce, sriracha, tamari, tapenades, Thai fish sauce, vinegars , Worcestershire sauce. Check they are gluten-free
- Odds and ends
- Baking arrowroot, baking powder, baking soda, unsweetened or 100% chocolate or cocoa powder or cacao, cacao nibs, cream of tartar, guar gum, sugar-free hazelnut syrup, vanilla extract, other extracts such as natural almond extract, coconut extract, peppermint extract, vanilla beans, active dry yeast, xanthan gum check they are gluten-free
- Pickled or fermented olives, pickled vegetables, sauerkraut
- Lemons, limes
- Other beef broth, chicken broth, canned coconut milk, green curry paste, salsa, shirataki noodles , tomato paste, tomato juice
- Wheat Belly Total Health says that you should not limit salt
- Grocery shopping tips
- Buy single-ingredient natural foods found in the produce aisle, butcher shop, and farmers market that dont require labels
- Ignore all claims of heart healthy, low-fat, low in cholesterol, part of a balanced diet, etc
Read Also: Perfect Body Diet Plan Reviews
What Does This Mean
It means that weve tweaked and tweaked and tweaked the genetic makeup of the grain through cross-breeding. The process is different from genetic modification, but the impacts of extensive hybridization are similar in that they can create something entirely new biologically. The result is a grain that converts to sugar more rapidly, contains entirely new forms of the gluten protein, encourages addictive patterns, and stimulates appetite. Croissant, anyone?
Did you know that two slices of whole wheat bread cause a bigger and faster blood sugar spike than a spoonful of table sugar ? Doesnt matter if its multi-grain with all sorts of seeds and other goodies added doesnt matter if its sprouted wheat. The impact on your blood sugar is still greater than table sugar.
This has far-ranging impacts. A spike in blood sugar causes a spike in insulin, one of our bodys leading fat storage hormones. Hence the simple equation that many of us have experienced directly: eat bread > spike blood sugar > spike insulin > gain weight. We all know bread isnt the fastest path to loosing that belly bulge. This is why.
But it goes further than a few unwanted pounds. With spikes in blood sugar and insulin, were on the pathway to diabetes, which is where these spikes lead us if left unchecked. It also contributes to heart disease, speeds aging, and damages our skin.
What Can You Eat On The Wheat Belly Diet
Foods that are permissible and those that are not
- some fruit , but considerably less sugary fruit
- and some dairy products. Raw nuts, plant-based oils such as olive, avocado, coconut, and cocoa butter are available in unlimited quantities. Humanely grown meat and eggs that have been fed grass. Cheese with a lot of fat. Flaxseed that has been ground.
You May Like: Dash Diet Weekly Menu Plan
The Wheat Belly Diet: How Does It Work
Cut wheat from your diet, and you’ll eat about 400 fewer calories a day than you normally would, Davis says. This calorie deficit alone is almost enough to add up to a pound of weight loss per week. “Anything that is going to cut calories is going to work because losing weight is a numbers game,” Blake says. “Eat fewer calories than you burn, and you’ll lose weight. Likewise, eat more than you burn, and you’ll gain weight.” Another reason the diet works, Davis says, is that wheat contains a unique protein, gliadin, which stimulates your appetite so when you eat wheat, your body just wants more wheat. Eliminate wheat and your appetite diminishes on its own. Wheat also causes blood sugar spikes, and elevated blood-sugar levels can cause your body to store calories as fat. Lower your blood sugar by eliminating wheat, and it can contribute to weight loss.
Can You Lose Weight On A Wheat Free Diet
As it turns out, this is not the case. There is no data to suggest that following a gluten-free diet can help you lose weight. Gluten-free diets have been shown to cause weight gain in certain people under particular circumstances. People who have celiac disease and follow a gluten-free diet may find that they gain weight quickly after they begin eating gluten-free.
Don’t Miss: 600 Calorie Diet For Diabetes
Principle Of Wheat Belly Diet Plan
Wheat Belly Diet Plan works on simple principle you can make the process of losing weight swifter, should you forbid wheat. And you dont have to wait for long to see its beneficial impacts on your body because within three to six weeks, you will see fall of 25-30 pounds in your body weight.
Removing wheat from your diet can directly be related to removing visceral fats from your diet, because visceral fats get piled up around the internal organs of your body and disrupt their functioning.
As visceral fat creates a shield of fat around internal organs of your body, its very harmful to bear with such fat for long time. Visceral fats not just deposit flabs around various parts of your body, but also make your body house of severe diseases.
Wheat Can Worsen Your Thyroid Problem
Anyone suffering from hypothyroid knows what struggle and frustration it is to lose weight. Even with a dedicated workout and diet, you see little to no results.
On top of that, the doctor suggests you lose some weight to keep your thyroid problem under control. Its like adding insult to the injury.But you are not alone, 4.2 crore Indians are suffering from it. In 90% of cases, its an autoimmune disease. It means that your immune cells are attacking your own thyroid gland.
The thyroid hormone has a very similar structure to the gluten present in wheat. When you eat wheat, gluten can enter your bloodstream. Your immune cells detect these harmful foreign objects and attack them. As your thyroid hormone has a similar structure as gluten, it suffers the wrath of this immune attack.
There is a powerful association between hypothyroidism and celiac disease. People suffering from hypothyroidism are more vulnerable to celiac disease, and people who have celiac disease have an increased chance of getting hypothyroidism.
Avoid wheat if you have hypothyroid or you are sensitive to gluten. Wheat for hypothyroid is only going to make a bad situation worse.
You May Like: Slim N Up Diet Pills
Why Suffer The Side Effects Of Wheat
Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food Hippocrates.
The above quote by the father of modern medicine Hippocrates, explains the importance of food to prevent and cure diseases. Food creates a great impact on our health. Good food choices give us health and vitality while poor choices destroy it. Treat food as your medicine otherwise, you will end up taking medicine as your food.
Now ask yourself, what will happen if you stop eating wheat?
Will your health suffer because of it?
Is there any particular nutrient that no other food can provide?
The answer to both the questions is No. In fact, the only thing thats going to happen is an improvement in your health.
So, why do you want to continue eating it and suffer the side effects of wheat if it doesnt have any particular benefit and so many potential ill effects?
Now, knowing all the above side effects of wheat, if we decide to eliminate wheat from our diet, then what should we eat instead.
Without wheat, there will be no wheat flour. And without wheat flour, there will be no roti. And we can all agree, the Indian thali feels incomplete without roti.
That brings up a question If wheat atta is bad, is multigrain atta good?
What Makes Wheat So Bad
Wheat releases a protein named gliadin inside your body this protein gets transformed into polypeptides after reaching to small intestine. These small proteins are so minute that they can reach to your brain.
When these small proteins reach your brain, they make you feel ecstatic for some time, but thats just a temporary phase. As and when their effect stops, you start getting craving to consume more of them. Therefore, they make you feel addicted of them, and you keep consuming them without reaching satiety.
In addition to that, wheat contains lectins. Lectins are kind of glycoproteins which make the walls of small intestine lose, and therefore allow the entry of food particles into blood stream. This phenomenon gives birth to innumerable auto-immune diseases.
Recommended Reading: 5 5 5 Diet Meal Plan
What Can You Eat On A Wheat Free Diet
Those following a wheat-free diet can consume rice, oats , corn, rye, and barley, among other grains. Combinations of buckwheat, chickpea , corn/maize, millet, potato, rice, and tapioca flours are used to make gluten-free breads and other baked goods. Because they lack the flexibility of gluten, they are not always simple to work with.
Wheat Belly: The Myth Of The Healthy Whole Grain
Is it just me or does it seem like every other person you meet has some sort of gluten sensitivity? Whether its a full-fledged auto-immune response or a mild tummy grumbling and bloat or even some seemingly unrelated health issue , gluten sensitivity has become a real concern.
But wait a minute Weve been eating wheat in all its many delicious forms for thousands of years.
Don’t Miss: How Many Carbs Per Day On A Keto Diet
What Is Wheat Belly Diet Plan
Wheat Belly Diet Plan considers wheat even worse than refined sugar and other high calorie food items. The diet plan contends wheat enhances your blood sugar level more than other sinister foods.
Should you make healthy replacements of wheat in your diet, you can keep your blood sugar level in control, and can deter your body from becoming victim of myriad disastrous diseases.
The diet plan asserts, should you refrain from wheat and wheat based products, you can save your body from gaining 400 calories.
On daily basis, cutting 400 calories from your diet can dramatically bring down your consumption of calories. Diet plan followed with exercises can get you the body you have always desired to have.
Why Is There Suddenly Such A Huge Problem
At first I thought I was just seeing more of these cases because this is my line of work being in the business of rectifying food-related tummy troubles, of course Im going to see gluten intolerance everywhere I look. But after reading Dr. William Davis bestselling book Wheat Belly, Im realizing that yes, this is a huge issue, and more importantly, now I understand why.
Also Check: Diet For Flat Stomach And Big Booty
Pros And Cons Of Wheat Belly Diet Plan
Though the diet plan is immensely restrictive, but should you abide by the diet plan, you can get numerous benefits. Lets have a look at some of the pros and cons of the diet plan.
- Your cravings will come under control and you will feel more energized and active.
- The diet plan will deter aging process in you, and will enhance your youthful life. Apart from that, you will get flawless skin and hair.
- You will get an amazing enhancement in your memory and concentration. The diet plan will trigger the release of noble hormones which will rid you from mood-swings.
- The diet plan will relieve you from insomnia. You will be able to get sound sleep at night, which actually is paramount to have a hale body.
- The diet plan has removed several nutritious foods from the diet plan, which might create dearth of nutrients in your body. For instance, forbidding fruits, legumes such as lentils, beans, peas, and whole grain from the diet plan is not at all appreciable.
- Should you want to socialize with your friends, or you have to out from home for several days, its almost next to impossible to abide by the diet plan.
- The diet plan doesnt have anything motivating or inspiring, which can keep dieters stick to it for longer duration.
Why Is It Hard To Forbid Wheat
Consuming wheat based products is just like an addiction. Its very difficult to refrain from the food because you will keep craving for the food just as you do, when you are addicted to alcohol, cigarette or drugs.
Companies manufacturing wheat based products know that people cannot live for more than eight hours without consuming wheat foods, and thats the reason food stores decorate burgers, and other wheat based products in their front shelves.
Should you remove glucose enhancing elements from your diet, you can design your way to a healthy body. Wheat comes under one of the most insatiable food items, which means more you will consume them, more you will feel like having them.
Its an appetite enhancing food. So when you consume wheat based products in your breakfast, within two hours, you will start feeling hungry and will feel like eating something to satisfy your hunger.
You May Like: 10 Lbs In 3 Days Diet
Wheat Can Make Your Diabetes Worse
Diabetes is a disease where your blood sugar is not under control and you have to take medication to keep it in check. Common sense says, if high blood sugar is the problem, then its wise to avoid food that will increase your blood sugar level.
What do you think is more sensible?
Eating wheat and spiking your blood sugar. And then increasing the dosage of medication to get it under control.
Keeping the medication low by cutting back on the food that raises your blood sugar.
If you are fine with the first approach, then as the years go by your diabetes will get worse and worse. Its always best to depend on yourself to control your diabetes than depending on the medication.
The Wheat Belly Diet: Cons
- The diet is restrictive, and it may be hard to maintain for the long-term, especially if foods such as bread, cookies, and pasta are among your favorites. “Losing weight doesn’t have to be this challenging,” Blake says. “Do you really need to go to this extreme?”
- Wheat is in a huge number of packaged foods. You have to read food labels carefully because it can be hidden in everything from chewing gum to granola as an emulsifier or leavening agent.
- When you remove all wheat from your diet, if you “cheat” and eat a slice of whole-wheat toast or half a bagel, the wheat could cause digestive problems, such as stomach cramps and gas.
- You could be missing out on some important nutrients. “Whenever you limit whole types of foods, you have to make sure you’re eating healthfully,” Blake says. “This isn’t a well-balanced diet. You should sit down with a registered dietitian to be sure you’re meeting all your nutrient needs if you choose this diet.”
- Although you can lose weight with this diet, it will be lost from all over your body, not just your “wheat belly” or love handles, Blake says. Weight loss doesn’t work that way you don’t lose from a specific area.
Don’t Miss: Low Carb Vs Low Calorie Diet