Different Types Of Ketogenic Diets
There are several versions of the ketogenic diet, including:
- Standard ketogenic diet : This is a very low carb, moderate protein and high fat diet. It typically contains 70% fat, 20% protein, and only 10% carbs .
- Cyclical ketogenic diet : This diet involves periods of higher carb refeeds, such as 5 ketogenic days followed by 2 high carb days.
- Targeted ketogenic diet : This diet allows you to add carbs around workouts.
- High protein ketogenic diet: This is similar to a standard ketogenic diet, but includes more protein. The ratio is often 60% fat, 35% protein, and 5% carbs.
However, only the standard and high protein ketogenic diets have been studied extensively. Cyclical or targeted ketogenic diets are more advanced methods and primarily used by bodybuilders or athletes.
The information in this article mostly applies to the standard ketogenic diet , although many of the same principles also apply to the other versions.
There are several versions of the keto diet. The standard version is the most researched and most recommended.
How Do You Track Your Macros On A Ketogenic Diet
There are a couple of ways you can keep track of your macros
- Free apps like My Fitness Pal and Senza are a popular way of tracking your daily macros on Keto.
- Or, if you plan your Keto meals for the week ahead of time, you can tailor your plan so that you stay within your macro limit each day.
Its not critical to be really strict when tracking your macros, but if you want to track your macros on Keto, then you can use various free apps, or by planning your meals ahead of time.
Be Prepared When Eating Out At Restaurants
When you first start the ketogenic diet, it can be difficult distinguishing whats keto-friendly and whats not.
But it gets easier with time. Almost every restaurant you go to will have a meal thats ketogenic diet friendly, and with a little creativity, you will never have to resort to a carb heavy meal just because you went out to eat with friends.
Here are some of the best ways to stay keto when eating out:
- Breakfast Always opt for eggs and bacon. Instead of going for pancakes or toast, substitute it with more eggs and a green salad on the side.
- Lunch There are always salad alternatives in almost any restaurant you go to. Replace the sugar filled dressings with strictly olive oil and vinegar.
- Dinner Every restaurant will have a meat dominant meal. If you are going out for dinner, ask for their fattiest cut of steak and replace the potatoes with an extra serving of vegetables.
Its also a great idea to look at the menu beforehand so you know what the best alternatives are.
Don’t Miss: Fatty Liver Diet Plan Philippines
Get The Bulk Of Your Calories From Homemade Keto Meals
Now that you know why keto works, what keto foods to eat, and what to expect, lets figure out exactly what you are going to eat.
The best way to find out is by looking at the hundreds of keto recipes that we have on our website.
To see what you can have for breakfast, .
What about keto dinner? Heres Here are our dinner recipes.
Feel free to have one of our delicious keto sides with your dinner as well.
And dont forget to make your meal even better with some keto-friendly condiments.
To finish off your meal with something sweet, we have plenty of keto desserts as well.
But before you get the ingredients to make these delicious recipes, make sure you implement the next tip in this article.
How Do I Limit Carbs On A Ketogenic Vegan Diet
In our sandwich-with-a-side-of-bread culture, cutting carbs down to the wire trips many people up. Exact numbers vary person to person, but in general, strict keto dieters need to consume less than 50 grams of carbs a day, says exercise physiologist Michael T. Nelson, Ph.D. . Some people need to go as low as 30 grams. The Mod Keto approach allows two to three times as many, but its still very low-carb compared to the diet of the average American.
Cutting out grains, rice, bread, and pasta will reduce your carb intake substantially, but youll also have to cut way back on nearly all fruits . Starchy vegetables like potatoes and yams are out, too. And the sugary dressings and sauces you may be so accustomed to that you dont even question them anymore well, start questioning them.
If youre longing for carbs so badly that you feel your resolve to stay on the diet is breaking, its possible to trick your brain that youre eating them by making approved foods look more like your starchy favorites. Cauliflower can be grated into rice, or boiled and mashed like potatoes. You can slice zucchini into noodles to replicate pasta. See Vegan Substitutions for the Keto Diet below.But by and large, youll simply have to develop a taste for fattier foods and rely on them to supply energy in place of carbs. Avocados, coconut oil, and nuts are all filling, flavorful options that can also power your workouts.
Recommended Reading: Do You Have To Count Calories On A Keto Diet
After Induction Is Over You Can Slowly Add Back Healthier Carbs
Despite what you may have heard, the Atkins diet is quite flexible.
Its only during the two-week induction phase that you need to minimize your intake of carb sources.
After induction is over, you can slowly add back healthier carbs such as higher-carb vegetables, fruits, berries, potatoes, legumes and healthier grains like oats and rice.
However, chances are that you will need to stay moderately low-carb for life, even if you reach your weight loss goals.
If you start eating the same old foods again in the same amounts as before, you will gain back the weight. This is true of any weight loss diet.
The Best And Worst Fats To Eat On The Ketogenic Diet
Instead of potatoes or rice with your meal, opt for a nonstarchy veggie. Start cooking with more oil, such as olive or avocado oil. Realize that old dieting habits like making a plain skinless grilled chicken breast just don’t make sense on a keto diet because you wont get enough fat.
Slowly start pushing out carbs and getting in fat. If youre afraid of fat, a ketogenic diet wont work for you, she says.
Also Check: 5 Day Anti Inflammatory Diet
Know What Side Effects To Expect
For all the attributes of a ketogenic diet , theres one big side effect you have to be prepared for: the keto flu.
The keto flu is a term that refers to the period after you start the diet when your body is adjusting to burning fat for energy. Some people have no problem with it and others are miserable, says Mancinelli.
In the first week or 10 days, you may feel extremely lethargic in your limbs. Walking upstairs may feel impossible. You may deal with mental fog. Often, keto causes constipation, or potentially diarrhea, because of a change in fiber intake.
For that reason, you should pick a start date when your week isnt crazy with deadlines and obligations choose a slower time when you can rest as needed. Along the same lines, youll want to be sure to take it easy with exercise for the first week or two as your body adjusts to burning more fat rather than carbs for fuel.
Key Takeaways For Step 2 Of Starting The Keto Diet
The most effective way to lose weight is by eating the right amount of calories. Since fat will be your main source of calories while you are on the keto diet, you will need to adjust your fat consumption based on the results you are currently getting and the results you want to get.
The fundamental principles you can use to help you figure out how much you should eat are as follows:
- Eating fewer calories than you need to maintain weight will lead to weight loss.
- Eating more calories than you need to maintain weight will cause weight gain.
- It is healthiest to lose weight at 1 to 2 pounds per week.
While you are on keto, it is important to eat the right amount of each macronutrient as well.
Follow these three keto principles to help you with this:
- Keeping carbs lower than 35 grams per day will help you stay in ketosis.
- Eating the right amount of protein will help you preserve muscle mass as you lose weight.
To help you find out how much you need to eat of each macronutrient, I recommend using these two tools:
- A calorie tracking app
Don’t Miss: Best Diet For Fat Loss Female
Whats The Effect Of All That Fatty Meat On Your Health
And what happens, for example, after cutting down fruits, legumes and whole grains all food that studies point to reducing cardiometabolic risk?
Dr. Neil J. Stone, a preventive cardiologist at Northwestern Universitys Feinberg School of Medicine, worries about this, having seen the bad cholesterol levels of some of his patients on the keto diet increase drastically. Any diet that raises major risk factors for coronary heart disease puts patients at risk over the long term, he said.
31589-8/fulltext” rel=”nofollow”> debate about LDL particles and whether the type thats increasing with the keto diet, larger LDL particles, doesnt increase heart disease risk.)
An advisory Dr. Stone co-authored by the American Heart Association stated that lowering dietary saturated fat, like fatty meats and high-fat dairy, can be beneficial. And swapping it for unsaturated fats like safflower oil or olive oil may reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. But before going on any diet, he recommends you ask yourself: What are your goals? Are they short-term or long-term? Can you get there without taking as many risks?
Stanfords Dr. Gardner also says he sees one common misconception about keto: eating too much protein. Most amino acids in protein foods can be converted into glucose in the body, undermining efforts to keep carb intake low. It drives me nuts that people dont get it, he said when he sees people eat, for instance, steak after steak.
Unsweetened Coffee And Tea
They contain caffeine, which increases your metabolism and may help improve your physical performance, alertness, and mood .
Whats more, coffee and tea drinkers have been shown to have a significantly reduced risk of diabetes. In fact, those with the highest coffee intake have the lowest risk for developing diabetes .
Adding heavy cream to coffee or tea is fine but stay away from light coffee and tea lattes. These are typically made with nonfat milk and contain high carb flavorings.
Unsweetened coffee and tea contain no carbs and can help boost your metabolic rate, as well as physical and mental performance. They can also reduce your risk for diabetes.
Recommended Reading: How To Do A Shake Diet
Dark Chocolate And Cocoa Powder
Dark chocolate and cocoa are delicious sources of antioxidants.
In fact, cocoa provides at least as much antioxidant activity as any other fruit, including blueberries and acai berries .
Dark chocolate contains flavanols, which may help reduce the risk of heart disease by lowering blood pressure and keeping arteries healthy (
Impact Of A Limited Diet
- Nutrients – There are some studies that suggest a keto diet may not provide you with enough vitamins and minerals which could lead to nutrient deficiencies over time.
- Bone health – Although more extensive research is needed in this area, the keto diet has been shown in some studies to lower bone mineral density and lead to bone breakdown over time.
- Chronic disease – More substantial studies are required, but thereâs some evidence that low carb diets focusing on animal foods may lead to higher death rates from heart disease, cancer, and all causes.
Also Check: Best Diet For Anemic Person
What Is Popcorn And Is It Healthy
First, the basics: Popcorn is a specific type of maize called zea mays everta. After the ears of corn are harvested, theyre dried out and then the kernels are removed. However, a small bit of moisture remains in the hard kernel so when the kernel is heated, the moisture vaporizes and pressure builds within until it eventually pops and expands into the fluffy, yummy snack we all love. Because the kernel remains attached to the soft flesh, popcorn is technically a whole-grain snack. When eaten plain, its low in sugar and fat and contains some fiber so overall its considered a healthy snack.
Start Here: Three Steps To Starting A Successful Keto Diet
Now that you know the what and the why behind the ketogenic diet, lets learn about how you can get started. Although there are many different approaches to keto you can try, most of your results will come from following these steps:
Don’t Miss: Ddp Yoga Results Without Diet
What To Eat And What To Avoid To Follow The Keto Diet
Just by following this step alone, many people are able to lose weight and improve their health significantly. By replacing carb-heavy foods with keto-friendly foods, you will naturally eat fewer calories than before, causing you to lose weight and enhance many aspects of your health.
Lets begin step 1 with a basic keto food list:
The Best Foods For A Keto Diet
This simple list summarizes what to eat on a low carb diet. And, what to eat on a keto diet is basically the same:
- Healthy fats like avocado oil, olive oil, butter, and coconut oil
- Leafy greens like lettuce, spinach, and kale
- Non-starchy vegetables that grow above ground, like zucchini, cauliflower, peppers, broccoli, asparagus, celery, and many others. Some vegetables that grow below ground, such as onions, are also okay. Get the full keto vegetables list!
- Meat like beef, pork, and lamb
- Poultry like chicken, turkey, and duck
- Seafoodlike salmon and other fish, shrimp, crab, and lobster
- Full-fat dairy like cheese, cream cheese, and heavy cream. Get the full keto cheese list!
- Sugar-free beverages like water, coffee and tea
- Herbs & spices like basil, dill and cinnamon
- Low carb condiments like mayonnaise, hot sauce and mustard
You can also enjoy these on a low carb keto diet in moderation:
- Low carb fruit like avocados , berries , and coconuts. Get the full keto fruit list!
- Nuts & seeds like almonds, macadamia nuts, walnuts, chia seeds, and sunflower seeds. Get the full keto nuts list!
- Sugar-free sweeteners like allulose, erythritol, monk fruit and stevia. Start with this keto sweetener its natural, acts like sugar, and has the best taste of them all.
- Low carb flours like almond flour, coconut flour, and psyllium husk powder
The main difference between low carb and keto is the macronutrient profile, but the types of foods you eat are mostly the same.
You May Like: Whats Considered A Low Carb Diet
Ketogenic Diet For Diabetes: Benefits Risks Tips And More
In terms of weight loss, you may be interested in trying the ketogenic diet because youve heard that it can make a big impact right away. And that may be true. Ketogenic diets will cause you to lose weight within the first week, says Mattinson. She explains that your body will first use up all its glycogen stores . With depleted glycogen, youll drop water weight. While it can be motivating to see the number on the scale go down , do keep in mind that most of this is water loss initially.
One downside to the ketogenic diet for weight loss is that it’s difficult to maintain. Studies show that weight loss results from being on a low-carb diet for more than 12 months tend to be the same as being on a normal, healthy diet, says Mattinson. While you may be eating more satiating fats , youre also way more limited in whats allowed on the diet, which can make everyday situations, like eating dinner with family or going out with friends, far more difficult. Because people often find it tough to sustain, its easy to rely on it as a short-term diet rather than a long-term lifestyle.
Preparing For The Worst The Keto Flu And How To Remedy It
If you have never tried the keto diet before, you are probably a carb-burning machine. By following keto, you will be robbing your body of its primary fuel source and this abrupt dietary shift will cause many changes throughout your body.
As a result of these changes, you may experience something called the keto flu. Keto flu is basically an umbrella term for the flu-like symptoms that may occur as your body adapts to a significant decrease in carb consumption.
Fortunately, you can make it through this flu especially now that you are going to be prepared for it.
If, during the first few days of keto dieting, you experience fatigue, mental fogginess, and/or other keto flu symptoms, try using these three strategies to help remedy them right away:
- Drink more water
- increase your sodium, potassium, and magnesium intake
- Eat more fat
For more specific info on the keto flu, its symptoms, and how to remedy it, check out this article.
You May Like: A Good Weight Loss Diet Plan Free