Healthy Eating Tips For Diabetes
Food is the key to managing diabetes and reducing the risk of heart attack, stroke, and other problems. There are many things you can do to change or improve your diet, but its important to avoid trying to change too many things at once.
Use the information below to pick 1 or 2 things you can do today to help you plan for healthier meals. Once you feel comfortable with the new changes, come back to this page and choose another healthy eating tip to work on.
Maintaining A Healthy Lifestyle
To maintain your healthy eating habits, try the following tips.
Add More Fruits & Veggies
- Mix veggies into your go-to dishes. Swap meat for peppers and mushrooms in your tacos or try veggie pasta instead of grain pasta like one made out of black beans for more plant-based protein.
- Use fresh fruits and veggies whenever possible. Watch for sodium in canned veggies and look for canned fruit packed in water instead of syrup.
- Pack your childs lunch bag with fruits and veggies: sliced apples, a banana or carrot sticks.
Prepare Healthy Snacks
- Teach children the difference between everyday snacks such as fruits and veggies and occasional snacks such as cookies and sweets.
- Keep cut-up fruits and veggies like carrots, peppers, or orange slices in the refrigerator.
- Prepare your meals for the week by making them ahead on weekends or on a day off.
Reduce Fat, Salt, and Sugar
- When eating out, choose baked or grilled food instead of fried and do the same at home.
- Make water your go-to drink instead of soda or sweetened beverages.
- Read labels on packaged ingredients to find foods lower in sodium.
- Reduce amounts of salt added to food when cooking and use herbs and spices instead to add flavor like paprika, turmeric, black pepper, garlic or onion powder.
Control Portion Sizes
- When preparing meals at home, use smaller plates.
- Dont clean your plate if youre full, instead save leftovers for tomorrows lunch.
- Portion sizes depend on the age, gender, and activity level of the individual.
What To Eat And Avoid With A Heart
- Red meat .
- Processed meats .
- Refined carbohydrates .
- Sweetened beverages .
However, moderation is key. It can be difficult to eliminate some of these things from your diet completely, so dont feel guilty about occasionally having a small serving of an unhealthy indulgence. The trick is to keep the portion small.
In contrast, you shouldnt overdo it on some recommended healthy foods either. For example, registered dietitian Julia Zumpano, RD, notes you should limit fish thats high in mercury, like albacore tuna, swordfish and king mackerel, to 6 ounces a week.
Also Check: How To Prevent Yo Yo Dieting
How Do I Meal Plan For The Week
The first step is deciding which meals youre going to plan for and what recipes youre going to make for each meal. It could be easiest to only plan for one or two meals of the day because you eat leftovers for lunch or have the same simple breakfast every day. For three meals a day of healthy eating, use this recipe collection as a jumping-off point.
Next, you want to break down your recipes by each ingredient that youll need to shop for. Once youve done this for all your recipes, you can combine the amounts of each like ingredient to make shopping easier.
The last step is to make your shopping list. Just add a handful of snacks and pantry staples, and youre ready to go shopping and start making your meals!
How To Plan What You Eat
Theres no right or wrong way to plan meals. You can plan for the whole week ahead, or you can plan for a couple of days at a time. Do what works for you.
Try these ideas to make planning what you eat part of your routine:
- Set aside some time to make your plan.
- Set yourself up to have all the information you need. Write down your meal ideas or new recipes.
- Store your old meal plans and favourite recipes in a binder or on your computer. You can reuse the plans and recipes that you liked.
- Post an empty grocery list where everyone can see it. Encourage everyone to add to it.
A little planning goes a long way in helping to develop and maintain healthy eating habits. You will find that the more you plan what you eat, the easier it gets.
Recommended Reading: Low Carb And Low Fiber Diet
Appreciate Less Expensive Foods
A lot of foods are both inexpensive and nutritious. By making some adjustments and using ingredients that you may not be used to, you can prepare many delicious and inexpensive meals.
These all taste great, are cheap , and are very nutritious.
Incorporating more inexpensive yet nutrient-rich foods into your daily routine will help you save money and eat well.
What Should I Eat Before A Workout
Let the timing of your workout determine this. If youre training first thing in the morning, youre welcome to have nothing but water beforehand. Black coffee is fine, too, and may actually increase the amount of fat you burn in the session.
Assuming you had dinner the night before, your body will still be flush with amino acids and stored carbs, so theres no immediate need to fuel your training any further. In fact, eating carbs right before can limit the fat you burn during a session.
On the other hand, if youre training in the afternoon or evening, you can have some protein and carbs an hour or more before the workout to power you through it 25 grams protein and up to 50 grams carbs is fine.
5 of 7
Also Check: Victor Longo Fasting Mimicking Diet
How To Prioritize Grocery Shopping For Healthy Eating
This is where it all starts. If youre the person buying the food for your kitchen, then try these strategies.
Go to the supermarket after the gymYoull feel motivated to keep up with all the hard work you just put in by buying the best options for your body. Just try to get some food in your system, because
You shouldnt shop on an empty stomachThis will shut up that voice inside your head that tells you to buy those amazing-looking Oreos. Shopping when youre hungry triggers your cravings for fast, satisfying foodand that can spell the end to an otherwise careful diet plan.
Make a listStick to basics and add or rotate one new snack/meal a week to switch things up. Dont know what to get? Start with the nine foods that should be in every diet.
Use a basketIt should be all you need. If you have the storage space for buying in bulk, prioritize the really healthy foods that you know youll be eating every daychicken breasts, fish, healthy vegetables, andof courseprotein powder.
Plan your route through the grocery storeAvoid aimless wanderingitll make you susceptible to temptations. Youre on a mission every time you go. Get in, and get out.
Shop the perimeterMost of the food youll need, like produce and fresh foods, is on the outside border of the supermarket. Avoid the snack and processed foods that poison the middle of the store.
Clever Ways To Eat Healthy On A Tight Budget
Nutritious food can be expensive, and it can be difficult to eat a balanced diet that includes fruits and vegetables when youre on a tight budget.
The good news is, there are many ways you can save money and still eat whole foods. In fact, here are 19 tips that can help you eat healthier when youre on a budget.
Read Also: For How Long Should I Do Keto Diet
Key Questions To Answer
In order to design your own diet, Bauer and Jones advise asking yourself the following six questions:
â¢ Do you prefer to eat three, five, or eight meals a day? Once you determine your desired eating schedule, divide your calories accordingly.
â¢ How much time will you devote to food preparation? If you hate to cook, or have limited time, you’ll need to simplify the preparation of healthy, fresh, and lightly processed foods.
â¢ What type of support, and how much, do you require? Everyone needs some cheering on to succeed, especially when the initial enthusiasm for changing bad habits begins to wane. Family and friends, online weight loss communities, and diet buddies can help you when you’re tempted to ditch your healthier diet and exercise program.
â¢ Do you love to dine out? You’ll need to account for restaurant food by seeking out the calorie counts of the foods you eat most often.
â¢ Will you require a daily treat to feel satisfied? If you can’t live without a little something special every day, reserve 100 calories for a single-serve package of cookies or chips, or for a frozen treat, like a fudge bar.
â¢ How much exercise can you reasonably do? Experts recommend at least 30 minutes a day of moderate physical activity, such as walking, on most days of the week, but you may have to build up to that, especially if you aren’t physically active. Ask your doctor what’s best for you.
What Is A Healthy Diet
Eating a healthy diet is not about strict limitations, staying unrealistically thin, or depriving yourself of the foods you love. Rather, its about feeling great, having more energy, improving your health, and boosting your mood.
Healthy eating doesnt have to be overly complicated. If you feel overwhelmed by all the conflicting nutrition and diet advice out there, youre not alone. It seems that for every expert who tells you a certain food is good for you, youll find another saying exactly the opposite. The truth is that while some specific foods or nutrients have been shown to have a beneficial effect on mood, its your overall dietary pattern that is most important. The cornerstone of a healthy diet should be to replace processed food with real food whenever possible. Eating food that is as close as possible to the way nature made it can make a huge difference to the way you think, look, and feel.
You May Like: Hot And Skinny Diet Pills
Making The Switch To A Healthy Diet
Switching to a healthy diet doesnt have to be an all or nothing proposition. You dont have to be perfect, you dont have to completely eliminate foods you enjoy, and you dont have to change everything all at oncethat usually only leads to cheating or giving up on your new eating plan.
A better approach is to make a few small changes at a time. Keeping your goals modest can help you achieve more in the long term without feeling deprived or overwhelmed by a major diet overhaul. Think of planning a healthy diet as a number of small, manageable stepslike adding a salad to your diet once a day. As your small changes become habit, you can continue to add more healthy choices.
Stay Away From Diet Foods
So-called diet foods can be very deceiving. They have usually had their fat content reduced dramatically and are often labeled fat-free, low fat, fat-reduced, or low calorie.
However, to compensate for the lost flavor and texture from fat, sugar and other ingredients are often added.
So, many diet foods end up containing more sugar and sometimes even more calories than their full fat counterparts (
Thats why its important to try to get adequate amounts of good-quality sleep, preferably in one bout.
You May Like: Why Am I Losing Weight So Fast On A Diet
Talk To Your Doctor About A Heart
Maintaining an active lifestyle can have considerable heart-health benefits. Following a healthy diet in tandem with getting regular exercise improves blood pressure, cholesterol and your overall heart health. But be sure to engage in exercise that gets your heart rate up, and do so for at least 30 minutes most days of the week.
No matter what physical activity you prefer, its best to check with your doctor before starting any exercise regimen or radically changing your eating habits. They can offer advice and support, as well as any referrals for help planning a heart-healthy diet.
Healthy Eating Tip No : Order Broiled Or Grilled Fish Instead Of Steak When Dining Out
The typical 8-ounce T-bone steak served at a restaurant has 635 calories, 17 grams saturated fat, and 140 mg of cholesterol â not including any fat added during cooking or as a garnish. The typical 4-ounce broiled salmon filet served at a restaurant has 206 calories, 9 grams fat, 1.4 grams saturated fat, 80 mg of cholesterol and 2.5 grams of omega-3s. Switching to fish trims 16 grams of saturated fat while adding 2.5 grams of omega-3s.
Also Check: Low Carb Diet Plan For Fatty Liver
What To Eat On A Clean
- Vegetables: The more the better, especially when it comes to leafy greens. Frozen vegetables are a great option too.
- Fruit: Opt for fresh or frozen fruit. If looking at canned fruit, opt for options canned in their own fruit juice instead of sugary syrup.
- Whole Grains: Oats, whole-wheat, barley and quinoa are great options.
- Nuts and Seeds: Choose plain, raw, roasted or salted nuts but skip most other flavors as they contained added sugars. When choosing peanut butter, choose options with just two ingredients: peanuts and salt.
- Healthy Fats: Fatty fish, like salmon, as well as olive oil and avocado are great healthy fat options.
- Legumes: Beans and lentils are high in fiber and protein, plus the canned options are a convenient pantry staples.
- Lean Proteins: When choosing proteins, opt for more chicken, turkey, fish, Greek yogurt and legumes.
What Is Healthy Eating
Eating healthy is an important part of a healthy lifestyle and is something that should be taught at a young age. The following are some general guidelines for helping your adolescent eat healthy. It is important to discuss your adolescent’s diet with his or her health care provider before making any dietary changes or placing your adolescent on a diet. Discuss the following healthy eating recommendations with your adolescent to ensure he or she is following a healthy eating plan:
Eat 3 meals a day, with healthy snacks.
Increase fiber in the diet and decrease the use of salt.
Drink water. Try to avoid drinks that are high in sugar. Fruit juice can have a lot of calories, so limit your adolescent’s intake. Whole fruit is always a better choice.
Eat balanced meals.
When cooking for your adolescent, try to bake or broil instead of fry.
Make sure your adolescent watches his or her sugar intake.
Eat fruit or vegetables for a snack.
Eat more chicken and fish. Limit red meat intake, and choose lean cuts when possible.
Recommended Reading: Keto Diet Can You Eat Yogurt
Moderation: Important To Any Healthy Diet
What is moderation? In essence, it means eating only as much food as your body needs. You should feel satisfied at the end of a meal, but not stuffed. For many of us, moderation means eating less than we do now. But it doesnt mean eliminating the foods you love. Eating bacon for breakfast once a week, for example, could be considered moderation if you follow it with a healthy lunch and dinnerbut not if you follow it with a box of donuts and a sausage pizza.
Try not to think of certain foods as off-limits. When you ban certain foods, its natural to want those foods more, and then feel like a failure if you give in to temptation. Start by reducing portion sizes of unhealthy foods and not eating them as often. As you reduce your intake of unhealthy foods, you may find yourself craving them less or thinking of them as only occasional indulgences.
Think smaller portions. Serving sizes have ballooned recently. When dining out, choose a starter instead of an entree, split a dish with a friend, and dont order supersized anything. At home, visual cues can help with portion sizes. Your serving of meat, fish, or chicken should be the size of a deck of cards and half a cup of mashed potato, rice, or pasta is about the size of a traditional light bulb. By serving your meals on smaller plates or in bowls, you can trick your brain into thinking its a larger portion. If you dont feel satisfied at the end of a meal, add more leafy greens or round off the meal with fruit.
Eat More Fish Including A Portion Of Oily Fish
Fish is a good source of protein and contains many vitamins and minerals.
Aim to eat at least 2 portions of fish a week, including at least 1 portion of oily fish.
Oily fish are high in omega-3 fats, which may help prevent heart disease.
Oily fish include:
You can choose from fresh, frozen and canned, but remember that canned and smoked fish can be high in salt.
Most people should be eating more fish, but there are recommended limits for some types of fish.
Recommended Reading: How Long For Keto Diet To Work
Helpful Tips For Every Meal Plan Goal
Start by bookmarking our guide to meal planning and signing up for our weekly meal planning newsletter. Here are some other helpful tips while meal planning, depending on what youre hoping to accomplish:
- Plan with fresh fruits and vegetables in mind. By focusing on produce-heavy dishes youll be well on your way to healthy eating.
- If you have an allergy or are following a specific diet , meal planning will help you navigate the grocery store before you even get there. Youll know exactly what ingredients youre looking for and are able to eat. If youre not sure whether specific ingredients contain your allergens, you can look it up online beforehand or scour the label once youre there.
- Try meal prep! You can prep all your produce, protein foods and other ingredients youll use throughout the week so that when its time to eat you can throw everything together and enjoy! Here are 50 meal prep recipes to get you started.
- Get the slow cooker out. Throw everything in there the night before or morning of and youll have a hot, delicious meal waiting for you after a long work day.
- Meal plan with a theme. By having one ingredient tying all your dishes together you can save time by using the same chicken or vegetables all week long.
Lose or Maintain Weight
Take a look at our complete list of weekly meal planners.
Stick to a Budget