What I Dont Love About The Paleo Diet
- It can feel limited I rated this diet lower in the Easy to follow category because I did find it harder to stick to. Thats probably because we eat more dairy than we do fruits . I also find things like Ranch on a salad with egg and chicken easier than deciphering the seeds, nuts, and what-the-heck-dressing-should-I-get with Paleo.
- SOME experts say NO COFFEE with the Paleo diet. Ill just leave that one there. That to me is a deal-breaker deluxe. That and no cream in my coffee. In my opinion, continuing to have a daily cup of coffee on the Paleo diet will not affect weight loss, though, so go for it if you are so inclined. Dont turn down the diet just because of coffee.
- No Dairy That does include milk, cheese, sour cream, cream, sugar-free creamer. Need I go on. You can use coconut milk and nut-based milks. No soy milk, rice milk, or oat milk, though.
- No grains and legumes Not even whole grains. No chickpeas, no lentils, no quinoa.
- You may not get enough Calcium and Vitamin D Some experts express concern that the Paleo diet does not include enough calcium and vitamin d without the dairy component. I would recommend a simple replacement through a daily vitamin if your choose to go Paleo.
What Foods Should You Avoid On The Paleo Diet
The main food groups to avoid when following the paleo diet are grains, most dairy , non-naturally occurring sugars and vegetable oils. In reality this does equate to a LOT of food, as many packets, jars and tins that youll pick up off a shelf in the supermarket will contain sugar or salt additives at least.
It will be considerably easier to follow the paleo diet if you start shopping in smaller shops like butchers and greengrocers, and avoid anything that comes in a packet, particularly if theres an ingredient you cant pronounce. You might be a little surprised to learn this includes dried beans, pulses, lentils and other seemingly very healthy things. But if a food wasn’t available to Captain Caveman, it’s not available to you in this diet.
The paleo diet is not specifically designed to be low-carb, but naturally given these restrictions you will find yourself consuming far fewer complex carbs.
- Best ab roller: the best way to get a six pack and exercise your core at home
- Best weights: top dumbbells to use at home
- The military diet: how does it work and can it order you to lose weight?
Address Food Reward Issues
Another reason why your body might be fighting you is the confusion caused by high-reward foods. Again, you can fix this with Paleo.
If youre hungry, Paleo food is delicious. But if youre not hungry, then its not very more-ish: its not like a bag of chips, where you can just keep reaching into the bag again and again without ever realizing what youre doing. Try to eat a plate of broccoli or scrambled eggs that way, and it just doesnt work out.
This almost automatically takes out the problem of hyperpalatable or overstimulating foods. Theres nothing in a typical Paleo diet that shouts down your bodys hunger and satiety messages like that, so theres no need to try to use willpower or anything else to eat absurdly tiny portions of foods deliberately designed to be addictive.
If a basic Paleo diet isnt quite getting you to that point, some extra tweaks might help try eliminating:
Even though these foods are technically Paleo, some people find them hard to stop eating going cold-turkey often helps, at least until you get into better eating routines and habits.
Its also worth noting that food gets much more rewarding if the rest of your life is not rewarding. Boredom and misery make it easy to look to sugar for comfort. Improve the rest of your life, and food will have a much smaller hold over you.
You May Like: Can A Dairy Free Diet Help You Lose Weight
To Get Started Eating Paleo
- Eat a variety of meats, vegetables, fruits, nuts, eggs, and healthy fats.
- Skip the processed food. If it comes in a box, most likely you shouldnt eat it.
- Skip the added sugars. No cookies, cakes, soda, etc.
- Skip the grains and beans such as soy, rice, corn, wheat, pasta, breads, cereals, white potatoes, and beans.
- Skip the processed oils such as canola, corn, soybean, peanut, etc.
- Eat dairy only if it comes from grass-fed cows and you digest it well.
- Followers of a Paleo diet also promote many healthy lifestyle behaviors such as regular exercise, rest, full nights sleep, drinking lots of water, and cutting down on caffeine and alcohol intake.
Sounds pretty structuredI like structurebut the real question:
What I Love About The Paleo Diet
- No Calorie Counting Weight loss is just easier when you arent stuck to a calculator or measuring everything against your fist, finger, and thumb. No counting here whatsoever.
- No Carb Counting either I think of Paleo as the less mathematically-inclined country cousin of the low-carb/ketogenic diet. Its a simpler way to eat in many ways. One of which is you dont have to count carbs.
- You CAN have fruit Fruit is both delicious and natural. And it is basically eliminated from the low-carb/keto diet due to high carbohydrate content. Not true here.
- Its great for those with lactose and gluten sensitivity Many women are sensitive to milk and grain products. They have symptoms like bloating, constipation, upset stomach, or diarrhea when they eat these foods. This diet eliminates both.
- Your diet feels and sounds healthy When you eat Paleo, there will be nothing that you cant say in your diet. Unless you struggle with ghee should be easy to say but its a little different. Ghee is clarified butter. And because it is clarified, you can have it. You cant have regular butter, though.
Read Also: Mediterranean Diet Food List For Weight Loss
Paleo Diet: Pros And Cons
Following a Paleo diet is touted by many as a healthy, natural eating plan that can help you lose weight. The Paleo diet focuses on eating as our ancient ancestors did, mainly unrefined meats and produce, and skipping those foods that have been processed in any way. In the modern diet, this eliminates a good portion of your food options and leaves you with narrower choices of what to eat.
Those who believe in the benefits of Paleo understand that our modern diet is drastically different than that of our ancestors, and in many ways, it is not as healthy. Refined grains, sugars, and oils have undoubtedly led to the rise in obesity, diabetes, and other chronic cardiovascular problems in modern times. Is Paleo healthier, though? Lets look at the pros and cons of this eating trend.
What Is Paleo?
The Paleo diet is eating in a way that is more unprocessed. Centuries ago , humans ate mainly produce, meat, animal products like eggs and honey, fish, nuts, and seeds. They consumed far fewer carbohydrates, few grains, and no refined sugars. To eat the Paleo way today, you are advised to eat only lean meats, fish, seafood, fresh fruit, non-starchy vegetables, nuts, seeds, eggs, and plant-based oils.
This diet shuns modern, processed foods of any kind. That includes grains, anything made from grain, starchy vegetables, legumes, beans, nut butters, dairy products, high-fat meats, sugars of any kind, all convenience foods, and anything with excess salt.
The Pros of Eating Paleo
How Much Weight Can You Lose On A Paleo Diet
So just how much weight can you lose on the Paleo diet? The truth is, as with all diets, it depends. Age, gender, current weight, metabolic rate, body composition, diet, and activity level all factor into the weight-loss equation.
Generally speaking though, its reasonable to expect a loss of one-quarter to two pounds per week , depending on the variables mentioned above.
Recommended Reading: 1 Hour Belly Blast Diet Review
Eliminate The Need For Willpower
As a rule, we give way too much credit to willpower. If someone is successful, we say that they have a lot of it, and if they fail, we say that they were lacking in it. The truth, however, is that willpower is a pretty shabby pillar to lean on, for anyone. When it comes to the relationship between willpower and food, the work of Stanford food behaviorist Brian Wansink demonstrates that simple things like overly large plates, bowls and even utensils encourage overeating, as does serving food family style or watching TV. Oftentimes, we make these mindless eating mistakes without even thinking about it, and blame our lack of willpower when we find ourselves staring at the bottom of a bag of potato chips. A better strategy is to use this information to our advantage, and eliminate the need for willpower in the first place. By taking willpower out of the weight-loss equation, you also eliminate much of the shame and judgment that goes along with being overweight or obese. Failing is not a failure of you as a person it is a systemic problem that can be fixed. When you fail, take it as an opportunity to review the situation from an objective perspectivein other words, become your very own behavioral scientist. Investigate and implement new systems, test the results and repeat until the desired outcome is achieved.
Foods You Can Eat On The Paleo Diet
In short, if your ancestors could hunt or gather it, it is allowed on the paleo diet. This includes:
- Grass-fed meat:choosing grass-fed is healthier for you, the environment and closer to what our ancestors ate.
- Fish and seafood: choose wild-caught
- Fresh fruits and veggies
Grass-fed meat is recommended on the paleo diet because it is leaner than meat from grain-fed animals and has more omega-3 fatty acids, the healthy fats that reduce inflammation in the body and protect your heart. A typical American diet is high in saturated and trans fats and lower in healthy poly- and monounsaturated fats, hence the paleo diet’s emphasis on grass-fed meats.
Look for chicken raised without antibiotics and try to source your meat from a local farm to learn more about how it was raised.
Choosing wild seafood over farm-caught may help boost your omega-3 intake too. That’s not always the case, but look for wild salmon and other sustainably-caught seafood when you’re eating paleo.
Recommended Reading: Is Dates Good For Diet
Is The Paleo Diet Right For You
If you dont work out , sedentary, obese and insulin resistant then the Paleo Diet will undeniably help you lose weight and get healthier.
If you workout then you should be on a more modified version of the Paleo Diet for weight loss.
Include the starchy carbs, raw milk, supplements and other foods I talked about in this blog post combined with the foundations of the Paleo Diet.
Having a Cheat Day or some Cheat Meals isnt going to kill you. It can actually help you burn more fat and increase your metabolism if youre strictly sticking to the diet.
There are some supplements out there when combined with a badass nutrition plan will enhance your health, and should be taken regularly.
Highly efficient MCTs like the ones in Keto Elevate, whey protein, BCAAs, fish oil and a good multivitamin are the foundation for an enhanced fit and healthy body.
I consistently use these few supplements year round, and would noticeably feel a decline in my health, body, and energy if I stopped taking them.
If the Paleo Diet interests you then you might also want to check out my guide on using intermittent fasting for weight loss.
The Good Part Of Going Paleo
Theres no doubt eliminating processed foods and ingredients like sugar, artificial sweeteners, and trans fats is going to shed fat, boost your energy and better your health.
The focus on eating real foods from Mother Nature is undeniably the key to a fit, lean, healthy and energetic body.
The Paleo Diet is going to be very effective for the average sedentary, overweight and insulin resistant individual looking to lose weight through dieting.
Those who arent following a training program will see fast and impressive results sticking to Paleo diet.
Plus they get to eat bacon while dieting so who can complain about that?
The Paleo Diet will help to:
- Regulate Blood Sugar Levels
- Improve Your Immune System
- Boost Energy
- Your Body Will Thank You For Relief From All The Years Of Fast Food And TV Dinners
Most people welcome its simplicity as all you have to do is follow the Paleo Diets basic eat this but dont eat that methodology.
Its pretty obvious the more complicated things are made the less likely people are to follow it, and this is right on the money when it comes to nutrition.
Unfortunately, for decades most weight losses focused diets and vegans berate you to not eat meat because eating fat is going to make you fat.
But we need those natural saturated fats and cholesterol from animals for optimal hormonal production.
This was absolute poppycock, and Im proud I didnt have the obedience back then to unquestionably follow their guidelines.
Also Check: Low Fat Diet Menu Plan
What Is The Buzz All About
Most of the advocates of this diet swear by it suggesting that it helps reduce the risk of developing health issues such as type 2 diabetes and obesity. The Paleo diet focuses on eating whole, unprocessed animal and plant foods. It follows the hunter-gatherer approach back from the Paleolithic time period when our ancestors only consumed what they could find in their environment.
The diet restricts the consumption of sugar, industrially processed foods, dairy and grains. Some extreme versions also eliminate the consumption of white starches like potatoes.
Address Your Whole Life Not Just Diet And Exercise
Did you know that theres a lot more to losing weight and keeping it off than just diet and exercise? For example, sleep deprivation makes us hungrier, and high levels of stress hormones cause us to eat more and store more fat, in turn reducing our ability to lose weight and keep it off. Studies also show that those with social support, a better ability to handle stress, self-efficacy, and those who assume responsibility in life are more likely to keep weight off once they lose it.
Focus on managing your daily stress using mind-body techniques like meditation or yoga. Plan ahead using shopping lists and meal plans to help you reduce the stress that comes along with starting a big lifestyle change. Connect with friends and family, and get support in your weight loss efforts. Youll be more likely to lose weight and keep it off for the long haul. And youll actually be able to enjoy your life while doing it!
You may also like
The Potential Downsides to Coffee and 6 Healthy Alternatives That Provide the Same Benefits
Read Also: One One One Diet Reviews
Finding Replacements For My Favorite Foods Was Possible
Part of my nightly routine was a snack after dinner. Id chow down on Pop-Tarts, chips, cheeseyou name it, I craved it before bed. I didnt want to change every part of my daily routine, so I kept myself stocked up on green apples and bananas and snacked on them with a side of almond butter. I was expecting to miss the crazy sugar rush, but was actually surprised to find that my pre-bedtime ritual was a completely mindless process. I could have gotten the same satisfaction from grazing on apples all along. For my post-workout snack, which was usually a protein bar or sugary sports drink, I was able to find a Paleo-friendly protein bar that quickly became a staple on my weekly shopping list.
How To Follow A Paleo Diet
Use coconut oil every day to help soften skin and prevent wrinkles. Forehead wrinkles are often a result of years of squinting and sun exposure. Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer that can help keep skin soft and elastic. It is also a natural sunscreen, so it can help protect skin from the suns harmful rays.
There are many different ways to follow a paleo diet. Some people choose to follow a strict paleo diet, while others choose to follow a more flexible approach. The following are some tips for following a paleo diet:
Recommended Reading: Yeast Free Diet Meal Plan
Can Paleo Diet Help You Lose Weight
Paleo diet, also known as Caveman Diet, is the other name of the habit of consuming unprocessed food items. It may seem unpleasant to a certain number of people. However, a large number of doctors are currently recommending to follow a paleo diet.
As a matter of fact, a paleo diet can truly be beneficial for everyone. A well-cooked dish may seem delicious, but the food value gets decreased. In other words, consuming the complete nutritious values from food is possible only if the food item is unprocessed.
It can also be called Stone Age Diet as food items generally used to be consumed at this way during that period. Research says, a proper paleo diet can undoubtedly help somebody lose weight quickly. Knowingly, fish, meat, vegetables and all kinds of food are consumed at their unprocessed form, which can be beneficial. Some of the ways how Paleo diet can help one to lose weight are briefly described below for you.
5 ways how Paleo diet can help to reduce weight